Deadline to Get Required REAL ID Extended Again

Federal officials have extended the deadline requirement to use an identification compliant with the REAL ID act to go through TSA security checkpoints at airports. Per an announcement made April 27, 2021, the Department of Homeland Security said the new deadline is May 3, 2023.

For Arizonans who use their driver’s license or ID card to go through TSA security at U.S. airports and other restricted, federally-controlled facilities, this means they have an additional year to get an Arizona Voluntary Travel ID through the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). The voluntary travel ID can be combined and used as a driver’s license, but the standard Arizona Driver License does not comply with REAL ID requirements and cannot be used once enforcement begins. The Travel ID can be distinguished from a standard ID by a gold star in the upper right corner of the front of the card.

The Travel ID requires applicants to provide identification that meets the federal requirements of the REAL ID Act. The cost for the Travel ID is $25 and in most cases it will be valid for up to eight years.

ADOT has more information on the Voluntary ID here:

ADOT Voluntary ID Info

Other Compliant IDs

Besides the Arizona Voluntary ID, other forms of ID that comply with the REAL ID Act and can be used to board an airline as of May 3, 2023, are:

  • Another state’s REAL ID compliant driver’s license or identification card such as an Arizona Travel ID. (In most cases, compliant state-issued IDs can be recognized by a star on the front.)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • A trusted traveler card (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST) issued by the Department of Homeland Security
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • A photo ID issued by a federally recognized tribe, including the  Pascua Yaqui Tribe and the Tohono Oʼodham Nation
  • HSPD-12 PIV card (issued to federal employees and contractors)
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

Weapons permits and temporary driver’s licenses are not acceptable forms of identification for travel.