Under general supervision, the Senior Accountant will contribute to the month-end-close process and year-end financial statement preparation. This contribution includes recording standard and recurring journal entries, fixed asset accounting, bank reconciliations, and account analysis. Ad hoc reporting and analysis will be completed as assigned.
- Prepares and records standard and recurring journal entries as part of month-end close process with clear and concise audit trail and backup documentation.
- Prepares and records manual journal entries as required with clear and concise audit trail and backup documentation.
- Maintains fixed asset accounting records including property and equipment purchases, construction in process, and depreciation and amortization schedules.
- Tracks and records fair market value (FMV) adjustments of investments held, and allocates interest earnings to appropriate funds.
- Reconciles assigned bank statements with the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Assists the Manager of Financial Accounting and Reporting with monthly and annual financial statement preparation, which includes the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Performs monthly account analysis as part of the month end close process.
- Completes schedules and reconciliations of assigned balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
- Assists with preparing documentation for the annual financial statement audit.
- Performs ad-hoc reporting and analysis upon request.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting, two years of public accounting experience (audit preferred) or four years of professional level accounting or fiscal administration experience within an ERP environment. CPA or Master’s degree highly preferred. Intermediate MS Excel skills are required, advanced experience preferred. A combination of education and additional years of comparable experience sufficient to demonstrate the ability to meet the demands of the position may be substituted for the above position requirements.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Governmental accounting standards (GASB)
- Microsoft Excel
- General ledger or ERP software
- Advanced bank reconciliation
- Perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy, attention to detail, with deadlines; to initiate and organize responsibilities, and to take independent action relative to work problems requiring immediate solutions, including notification to your supervisor if you are unable to resolve work problems.
- Make strong organizational recommendations, utilizing oral and written communication, proofreading, and critical thinking skills.
- Prepare analytical reports and studies.
- Perform applicable statistical and mathematical analysis.
- Leverage spreadsheet software to efficiently organize data and create reports.
- Research, analyze, interpret and audit financial and budgetary data.
- Read, write, and speak the English language in an articulate, fluent manner.
- Communicate via telephone with sufficient clarity to be understood by others.
- Establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with department personnel, other TAA personnel, outside agencies and airport users as require
- Maintain discreet and professional sense of confidentiality due to sensitive nature of job functions.
- Be sensitive and aware of actions and reactions of employees, tenants, Board and Authority members, consultants, the public and outside agencies, and inform supervisor of appropriate concerns as necessary.
- Perform cross-training within work environment.
- Engage in self-improvement activities, and training as require
- Continually learn and apply the latest up-to-date technical knowledge and skills in functional area of responsibility.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
- Valid Arizona driver’s license.
- As an employee, you are deemed to be essential personnel as part of TAA’s emergency response, and must respond to airport incidents, as requested/required.
- Must successfully complete the National Incident Management System (NIMS) 100, 200, 700, 800 course requirements and certification within the first year.
- Must obtain and maintain access to the Security Identification Display Area (SIDA).