In 1990, Tucson Airport Authority initiated an airport-wide recycling program for white and news paper throughout the airport complex, and in 1992, Tucson airlines instituted a cardboard and aluminum collection program.
Over the years the airport recycling reprogram has expanded to include:
- shredding and composting landscape waste material and reusing them on airport property
- recycling lamps and ballasts, antifreeze, contaminated fuel, used tires, batteries and scrap material
- reuse of concrete and asphalt from horizontal construction projects on road surfaces
- re-seeding airport property disturbed by construction
- collection of banned liquids by TSA at security checkpoints and donating them to local charities; and installation of beverage disposal containers pre-security
- installation of collection containers for recyclables in the public areas of the terminal